Thursday, November 20, 2008

The future is now!









We've been promised ancient frozen extinct beasts before ( Jurassic park series, Encino Man, et.all), but I have a feeling they( science) mean it this time. So this is going to happen in what, 2o years? From what I've heard, the world will be on fire by then, the question is, do we really want to bring an innocent and naive creature into that world? Where will we keep it? I mean I suspect all the climates of the woolly mammoth will be melted and tropical by then. And who would raise the little guy? It would be an orphan- left to the cruel plots of zoolgists who might dress up as a pair of mom and pop woolly mammoths to recreate some normalcy ( see captive bred california condors....)




As much as I would like to see these species in the here and now, I'm not sure if I support this effort. Can't we focus on...taking care of the awesome things that are on the verge of extinction? Maybe we can do both.



question: If the opportunity to carry a Neanderthal embryo came along, would you take it?





5 comments:

M. Peror said...

I'm saying: yes.

The Markitect said...

Margaret, I think you're overlooking all of the other great things that would be brought back to life along with mammoths.

I just wish Michael Creighton had lived long enough to see this dream realized.

To answer your question, yes I would carry the neanderthal child, but only if it meant I would be the subject of my own TLC reality series.

Evil Sol said...

The only way that you could get me to have a neanderthal baby would be to trick me. Perhaps my jerky husband I move into a schmancy apartment, make friends with some archeologist neighbors, they poison and impregnate me. I know I would be forced to love that baby and I guess, under those circumstances, that would be okay with me.

JESS!CA said...

maybe the mammoths will take out the people. it'll be like when the people took out the dinosaurs. eventually the mammoths will drive automobiles.

M. Peror said...

did people take out the dinosaurs? Was there a dinosaur people war I don't know about?